Sunday, November 4, 2007

Friendship Before Love or Love Before Friendship?

The friendship before love theory has never bore fruits for me but I think I mastered the friendship after scenario. I believe that all the men who passed through my life, left an impression which somewhat somehow shaped me into the person I am today. With the positives and the negatives. I try to forget most of the negatives and why the relationship went bust and keep contact with most of my exes, just because I care about the special people in my life.
A little while ago, I was talking to one ex and he expressed how his life was miserable right now. I have my own share of misery but he also asked for my help to give him a hand to organize a few areas of his home, since I’ve done such a good job with mine. His words!
So I spend this week-end organizing his closets and making suggestions for a few home decoration/improvement projects. Even though I feel I did nothing but do laundry, fold clothes and linens and put them in an organized manner, he was very grateful for my help and expressed how he now has the energy to do more.
The wonderful thing about this successful week-end of friendship, even thought we had a very unsuccessful relationship many years ago, is that we both left our pride at the door and expressed our respective needs for help. As I helped him deal with a seemingly insurmountable situation, he fixed one of mine too: my truck headlight bulb had been burned for months. Seems simple but I never seemed to be able to get it fix. I just had to express my problem and since it fitted into his skills, it was easy for him to fix.
It’s now a great balanced relationship where we can both use the other’s forte to make our own life a bit better

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

organizing someone else's closets for free? you do need to get out more.

Anonymous said...

Annie, Mon Amie,
My pc is so broke!Love your blog. You not only amaze me, but inspire me every day.And may I add, I am old enough to be your Mom!!! I admire your way of thinking and intelligence. You are a breath of fresh air, and a "wanna be" for a lot of married women in an unhappy situation.
I'm going to start looking for a good man for you... Hope your wknd in Toronto was fun and pleasurable and will see you for lunch Mon. Ciao Bella. Your best lunch Buddy.